Monday 7 November 2016

Me - a "hnam phatsantu"


I am labelled-
a traitor, a disappointment
a Judas, a theological sinner
an ethnic shame.


Parents advise their daughters
Mami, ani ang hi chuan
awm ve reng reng suh.”

Brothers tell their sisters
Mami, nang chuan
‘Zo tlangval ngei’ ti tlat ang che.”



I am the cross
an entire tribe has to bear,
the inciter of gossip,
the source of a rumour
that is all so true.


With my voicing the phrase “I do”
A sentence has been passed
To exile me forever
From a land I call my home
My people have distanced themselves
From me, the "hnam phatsantu".
I have been hanged in public
My head shaved bald.
My story of love is my tale of woe
Love is a curse, a thorn in my flesh.
It has made of me a Gentile
In a Jewish land.

Now, I only dare seek solace
in the reassurance of knowing
the final and most crucial judgement
is to be made by the Jehovah
who made all men,
and loves all equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment